Temple History and Origin
Years before, the Coimbatore of today was known by the name Kovanpudur. The tablet of King Veerapandi chiseled in 1281 B.C. stands proof for this. During the era, Coimbatore city was partitioned as “Kotai” and “Petai”. Even today the city proudly bears that history in the form of the monuments, Kotai Eswar Temple and Petai Eswar Temple in its landscape.
The word “Dhandu” refers to the place where soldiers erect their tents during a war.
“Mannavarkku Dhadupoi Vadapulathu Vadhabi”
Poet Seikkilar first used the word in the above mentioned lyric in his Periapuranam which elaborates the victory of King Paranjothi in his war against the west.
Amman Holiness in Vision
Her Holiness Amman blessed the vision of a soldier in King Tipu’s army by appearing in his dream. Amman made him realize her presence among the neem trees of that place, from time immemorial. When the soldier woke up the next day, he started searching earnestly for Her in that place and found Her Holy presence in the form of a deity among the neem trees. Overcome by boundless happiness he started praising and worshipping her. He shared his new found happiness with his friends. He even cleared out a place and placed the Holy Deity in there. Soon the rare presence of Amman spread all around. Since Amman “Mari” was found in a “Dhandu” she was glorified as “Dhandumariamman”. The number of devotees who thronged the place to worship Her started increasing day by day, thereby making Her glory spread far and wide.
The majestic temple stands aloft facing the north in the Uppilipalayam locality of Coimbatore’s Avinashi Road. The inner walls of the temple’s main deity are decorated with holy statues. The east phase of the temple is blessed with the holy presence of His Holiness Lord Raja Ganapathy and Her Holiness Lord Durga. The presence of His Holiness Lord Dhakshinamoorthy under the kallaala trees adds majesty to the south part of the temple. From the west phase of the temple Her Holiness Lord Lakshmi bless the vision of Her devotees with her magnificent presence in the lotus, along with her is the Holy presence of Lord Muruga.
The devotees are welcomed by the holy presence of the deities Lord Mahishasura Marthini, Lord Gajalakshmi, Lord Saraswathi and Lord Lakshmi at the entrance.
The temple’s plane bears the Holy deities of Lord Samayapuram Mariamman, Lord Kamatchiamman, Lord Dhanalakshmi, Lord Ayanamariamman, Lord Gayathri, Lord Komari, Lord Lakshmi and Lord Dhandumari. The construction of the holy plane was completed on 14-4-1952.
Towards the west of the main deity is present Lord Vinayagar under the sacred fig tree. On the east is the Holy Navagraha Aalayam. The mandapam at the entrance bears the significant faces of Lord Ashta Lakshmi. On the North-East front of the temple are the reflections of Lord Karuprayan and Lord Muniyappan in their ancient forms. The temple is constructed facilitating the peaceful worship of the devotees.